Quote Originally Posted by aluk View Post
As much as Quebec loves feeling separate from the rest of the country, they are still part of Canada for the time being, and so the federal (i.e. common law) criminal code is applicable there; Quebec's civil code does not deal with criminal law. Namely, it seems to me that sec. 494 would allow you to make a citizen's arrest (and presumably use reasonable restraints against a criminal) if you:

a) made the arrest at the time of the theft. Failure to do this is why the guy in Kensington market (?) was charged for tying up a guy who had shoplifted from his store a few weeks ago - the shopkeeper nabbed him hours later when he re-entered the store, and
I saw footage of the theft and later "capture", but I since was unaware the shopkeeper was charged. Too bad.

As far as the Québec angle goes, I'm getting conflicting input. On the one hand, laying a hand on a perp when they have your property in hand within moments of the actual theft (such as chasing them out the door) is supposedly assault and not distinguished from violent assault — that Québec makes no such distinction. I'd concur that that sounds like criminal law, but on the other hand, I'm getting this input indicating that had I seen the theft (or rather, my bag outside the window when seconds before it was under my chair), I could have gone after the perp(s). This would also appear to contradict what happened when one of the people whose backpack was taken from that same Starbucks chased down the guy and found herself, along with the perp, apprehended equally. It was only after how glaring the theft was when she was "let go".

b) delivered the person to the police asap.
Given that opportunity, I guarantee that would have been done. -_-

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and suggest that you conduct your own research into your rights. Remember, the Criminal Code of Canada is the law of the land, including in la belle province.
Je me souviendrai, no pun intended. It's an area still unclear to me, and it's one of the first things I want to understand once I'm settled there.

Sorry to hear about the theft of what sound like some of your most precious belongings.
I just want the intangible stuff back; they can keep the material junk. I can't cough up working notes without going through all the research again, which somehow I'll eventually find a way to do, but now it may be years later than I had hoped. The "Kodak moments", meanwhile, are forever lost.

Also, if urban planning falls under the faculty of architecture, then I believe that you have access to their darkroom facilities (which few seem to know about), reportedly much better than the one operated by the photo club, and possibly with 24hr. access to boot
Yeah, it's a question I'll be asking when I get there. Faculty of arch are in the same building as school of urban planning (they are the only two faculties in that building), and my advisor is actually part of arch. Chances seem very probable I'll have access, which is good because, yeah, I saw how awful McGill's photo club system is set up (closes at 17:00? pardon?!), and it made me very sad to be leaving the facilities at the UofT. Access to the arch darkroom will more than make up for it, since I'll practically be living there anyway.