Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
One reason NOT to is if you find yourself photographing to please judges instead of yourself. Camera club contests are particularly crappy because many subscribe to the subject and compositional "rules" of the P.S.A. ...Evan Clarke
This is the main reason why I no longer do this type of thing, but it's not just limited to camera clubs. Many juried group shows suffer from the similar problems. I regularly speak with artists working in non-photographic media and, at least in their experience, it is apparently not at all uncommon for judges to allow their own personal preferences to skew their judgments. I mean, no one is totally impartial - we all have some influences that cannot be completely set aside - but still...

I am told that the thing to do if you are interested in this type of event is to keep track of the judges who like the style of work that you do and then only submit work to their shows. It takes time to learn who likes what type of work, but I am told that's the best way to get your work seen without spending overly large amounts of money on entry fees for shows that you have little chance of getting in to. The cost to submit three prints to any given event is not large, in and of itself, but if you add up how many submissions you make each year it can get fairly impressive. I expect, though, that everyone will have a slightly different take on this...

- Randy