Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
It may not be. 1100gms of Potassium Hydroxide will dissolve in a litre of water, at 25C that rises to 178g at 100C.

So are the two figures written in different ways - If you start with 1 litre then that will dissolve 1000g but the final volume will be more than a litre, or conversely that a 1 litre saturated solution of Potassium Sulphite will contain 655g ?

Either way something sounds strange because 380-400 gms of Potassium Sulphite should dissolve fairly easily in water.

Potassium Sulphite is a slightly better antioxidant than Sodium Sulphite and is used as a anpreservative and anti-browning agent in the food instry.

Ian
Ian;

What does your first sentence mean? I'm totally confused. 1000g rises? to 178???

As for the second, my handbook says that K2SO3.2H2O is soluable in 3.5 parts of water. This differs from all of the figures given so far. That is about 28%, but adjusting for the water of hydration will increase that value. I would have to figure out the contribution, but it does sound as if a 40% solution is reasonable.

PE