Ok, Dick Daubendiek was working on a 10 nm Bathochromic shift in absorption by Iodide using Epitaxy. The references to the work of Joe Maskasky and Gary House are just further epitaxy and uses for extended (10 nm) shifts to longer wavelengths. This gets us more green but no red sensitivity AFAIK.

However, the chart in Mees and James shows that increasing iodide leads to longer and longer sensitivity. But, in no case that I know of is there any red sensitivity. It is probably more due to "leaky" filters of the time than real sensitivity as even Maxwell's experiment was "wrong" in that his filters and dyes were not exactly what he expected.

So, as iodide goes up, longer wavelengths come into play in sensitivity, but then the emulsion becomes less developable. Epitaxy was one way to gain high speed AgCl/I emulsions with good sensitivity and still allow for fast development.

This is not to say that dry plate collodion might not be different, but the only red sensitivity that I have heard of was done with dyes and included Chlorophyll. I posted some information on that in another thread in response to Bill's prior question. That may be of some help here.

However, I have had no problem with red sensitivity using the Sands dye I described earlier, but I must add that I have been told that sensitizing dry plates is harder and different. One method makes the dry plate and then submerges it in a solution of dye. The excess is run off and the plate is re-dried. For details go to the references I posted before please.

PE