Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
I suddenly realised why you want a developer that's non injurous to health

More seriously I have had a thought and it might just work. Answering Kirk's pH point made me think of a developer I've used highly dilute and yes it gave excellent acutance etc and with modification it would almost be drinkable.

This quote came back to mind from earlier in the thread:

As for developers, it is probable that the next few years will see the introduction of a series of developing agents that that can actually be eaten if desired. Some, chemically related to Vitamin C, are available now though at enormous cost. One call almost see the advertisement of the new Zero-Grane 999 (1960 A.D.) ----- "Try Zero-Grane 999. Non-poisonous. Enlargement to 999 diameters, miraculously discovered by George Gizzlewski after 84 years of painstaking research. If it won't develop your negative, take two teaspoonsful after each meal. It puts spring in your step and a light in your eye. $10 per 2 oz. bottle sufficient for 89 rolls of film."

Edmund Lowe, 1939

Ian
I am a coffee addict...

Maybe you could also think about a Rodinal-like Caffeinol+C potage...

That would also answer my eternal nagging that a standardized, reliable no-surprise Caffeinol would be the next great thing.

Here is my dream:

A developer based on caffeic acid and/or vitamin C. It should be highly concentrated, and of course it should last forever and make full film speed or even pushing possible. We need two versions:

- High acutance, lots of grain, like Rodinal
- High acutance, no grain, like Perceptol

That will not be too difficult, right?