Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
Well I won't be mixing it. Is the ready made stuff safe to use?
Fotch, commercial Rodinal is no worse than most other developers, and there's far worse chemicals used in most households on a regular basis.

A couple of comments, I haven't advocated making up the old "Classic Rodinal" formula with it's higher level of Hydroxide, but we have discussed the formula.

The amount of Potassium Hydroxide needed in the two formula I advocated in the opening post in Part 1 of this discussion is significantly smaller, at the highest 27g/litre. Potassium Hydroxide is harder to handle accurately as it comes in pellet or stick form unlike Sodium Hydroxide, but it is easy to buy as a 40% solution which is possibly the best option.

Health & Safety

Now Ron & Kirk have actually raised some more serious and fundamental issues about safety and handling chemicals used by many photographers, which are equally relevant elsewhere, and we need to remember that Lith devs etc are in far more common use and many use Hydroxide solutions. Equally many Toners & Bleaches use acids like Hydrochloric and Sulphuric.

I'm fairly certain Kirk will have some kind of Safety guide where he works. In the UK chemical suppliers/manufacturers have to supply an MSDS/COSHH data sheet with each chemical the first time you buy it. (HSE - Control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH). Equally any company using any chemical must have the relevant data sheet.

Using this data a Lab in the UK is required to draw up a COSHH Report on all the chemicals and processes it uses, which covers all aspects of safety, handling, what to do in the case of an accident etc, but with relevance to the volumes and way a chemical is going to be used. Copies of this usually hang on a wall in each relevant room in a lab so available for immediate use. (Ours were near to where the most dangerous chemical were used or stored).

It sounds heavy, companies try and sell you software to do it, but in fact it's easy as nearly everything is in the MSDS sheets, and often handling & safety codes are in major chemical suppliers catalogues.

What's missing is a free, easily printable, safety guide for photochemistry, no-one's going to buy a specific book, and while almost all manufactures from Ilford, Kodak etc through to the Photographers Formulary provide MSDS sheets it's not usuably in a practical form.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a framework to drop the data into, it's archived in the UK, but perhaps if some has something between us we can put together informaton particularly for the most hazardous chemicals used in making up your own photo chemicals and emulsions.

Ron's right about safety, and I know Kirk is aparticularly safety conscious from numerous posts he's made in the past.

Ian