Almost forgot. The reason I asked about the metolate is that I tried the following:
KOH.....................28 g.
K2SO3..................222 g, 45% w/w K2SO3 (100 g dry.)
Metol....................41.8 g.
Water to 500 ml.
If all dissolves, the solution will contain 28.8 grams K2SO4. It did not all dissolve. I wasted a lot of time trying to dissolve it by bringing the pH up to 14.5 (stupid meter didn't know any better). I added water to make 750 ml and it became clear in more ways than one. It still is a potent stock solution.
The K2SO4 is not much in the working solution, but is a fair proportion of the stock in terms of 4methyl paraminolphenol. In any case, something is not all dissolving that I thought ought to.