Ahh, UK/US terminology differentials!

Same confusion reigns in my field. In the UK, an anaesthetist is a medical doctor who specializes in the perioperative care of surgical patients and in the administration of anaesthetics. That same person in the US is an anesthesiologist; while an anesthetist is an advanced-practice nurse (somewhat analogous to a nurse practitioner) who administers anesthetics with a greater or lesser degree of consultation with a physician, as required by the state in which s/he practices.

Now, what was Scott's original question?