Please forgive this rant but I just can't tolerate the overblown use of the word "Artist" to describe photographers, whose only talent is "seeing" and pushing a button or cable release and nothing more. Those photographers should be likened to composers. Bresson was a photographer capable of capturing the decisive moment and if it is true that he had no further involvement with the image after that, he can only be considered a great photographic composer, not an artist. Eugene Smith was an artist, Ansel Adams, Paul Strand and countless others were artists. Their involvement with their work embodied both the vision, composition and the craft needed to arrive at the desired end. That is not to say that every artist must perform every step to that realization but must at the very least work in close collaberation with those who are doing the work to make the photographers vision HIS image not theirs by default. Andy Warhol, Rembrandt, Titian and many other artists did run large studio factories where others did the work but always under the close scrutiny and supervision of the artist and always toward the realization of the artist's vision. To mention William Eggleston and artist in the same breath is an affront to the meaning of the word Art. Eggleston at MOMA was the greatest put on ever foisted on the photographic community. I can still hear him and John S laughing up their sleeves at the gathering sycophants hurrying to proclaim his inane mediocroty "Art". Please remember that photographic art is a performing art much like painting, sculpture and pottery etc. and no one component of it can be left to the vagaries and decisions and interperetations of uninvloved annonymity. It is not my intention to denegrate those who "push the button and leave the rest to us." They may well be brilliant photographers but please don't confuse them with artists. I am now doning my asbestos suit and have only one request. Please be thoughtful in your response and unless your name is Eggleston, refrain from personal attacks. My mother may read this.
Denise Libby