Okay, I'll admit it -- it's been years since I've shot with slide film, and I've recently been getting back into shooting film, and find that I miss slides. Back in the day, the choices were pretty simple if I wanted to shoot at ISO 100: Fujichrome or Ektachrome. And I usually just shot the stuff that was hanging on the racks -- I almost never bothered with pro films.

But now, I find that there are at least ten different flavors to choose from, just counting Kodak and Fuji. And I haven't a clue which to use. They will probably all work well, but I'd like to know which will work best.

In this case, I'm planning to attend an air show next month, and I want a film that will give me neutral, but saturated colors (i.e., I want the sky to be blue, not some turquoise variant), and as fine a grain as possible. I would like to try a test roll or two before the show, and given the lead time involved with getting slide film developed these days, I need to start soon.

Anyway, after visiting Kodak's and Fuji's sites, I see that among ISO 100 slide films there are:

Kodak Professional Elite Chrome
Kodak Professional Elite Chrome Extra Color
Kodak Ektachrome 100 Plus Professional
Kodak E100G
Kodak E100VS
Fujichrome Astia 100F
Fujichrome Provia 100F
Fujichrome Sensia 100
Fujichrome Velvia 100
Fujuchrome Velvia 100F

Based on descriptions at the above sites, I'm leaning toward Kodak's E100G or Elite Chrome 100, or Fuji's Velvia 100. I selected these three because they are reported or reputed to have extremely fine grain. That narrows it down to three at least. Whether you agree or think another emulsion would be a better choice, I'd love to read about it.

Michael