I thought of a photographic diaphragm, like some people use film to make zone plates, but I wonder if that was a likely way of doing things in 1911. Film was in use, certainly, but I wonder if it had yet become more common for large format photography than dry plates. I've had filmholders dating from that era and earlier, so it was certainly possible.