</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OleTj @ Apr 2 2003, 09:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> N- development, but this tends to compress midtones a bit much for my taste.

Compensating developer - something like Maxim Muir&#39;s.

Split developing - with split D23, Ilford FP4+ can hold details over a 16 stop range&#33; </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
There are 2 issues at stake . Local contrast - to keep the door. And general contrast. N- processing will decrease general contrast and may yield a flat print that can be pumped up with a partial selenuim toning and a bleach back of the highlights. I think I might try DiXactol for this one. Even the monobath version controls local contrast very well by tanning the neagative in the highlights and retaining overall contrast elsewhere. PMK tans also - but nothing like the Catechol in DiXactol. I photographed a light bulb and you can read the 50w printing on the glass and see the filament coils perfectly - with no halation - I did it in Medium format in monobath DiXactol. Split D23 is also a winner - I have not used it in a situation like this though. It is sure cheap and easy to make.