Let me point out /reiterate one thing with respect to scanning colour print film. When you do the scan, you *must* do a levels adjustment. if the image is underexposed and then you try to lift shadows in the scan, you will have tremendous graininess. The levels adjustment is critical. What I typically find is that my scan software will set levels quite well on its own, but if you err on the side of underexposure, you pay a huge cost in image quality. So, again, when shooting a backlit subject, it's very important to meter in a way that isn't biased by the backlight.

On the flip side: if you overexpose, the scanner (many of which now reach DMax ~4) will have no problem with it- colour print has way, way less density range than slide. I guess with slide you can get to DMax-DMin of 4+, whereas colour print film probably only reaches about half of that (I guesstimate) and even with the mask eating into the base DMin it's not a problem for just about any recent scanner.

So as a general rule, for colour print film, erring on the side of overexposure is a good idea, particularly if you scan. The film can handle it and the scanner can handle it too. I have yet to meet a scene that colour print film couldn't handle.... and that includes shooting directly into the sun. You can get a bit of posterization in the highlights and shadows when you scan, sure, but the film's knee and toe manage to make even that look nice and natural.

I've had some frontier scans done, mostly I do drums, but I can report.. for the sake of any doubters... that it is possible to get good results with *no* postprocessing... except for levels adjustment. Levels adjustment is virtually always needed, in my experience. Levels adjustment is akin to setting exposure and contrast in the trad'l printmaking process, it's just a simple matter of deciding what density maps to what tone along the scale. It's a far, far cry from all the other manipulations that turn analogue folks off.

Regarding 800 z, please take extra care when reading about how people rate and develop it; those decisions are part and parcel of how you meter. If you meter for highlights with this film (or 400 h) then you are screwed!

P.S. chimp= to cheat or to take the easy way out