I just figured if I add potassium permanganate (a really small amount) to the developing solution it should retard silver development to compensate for the weak dye formation, thus lower the effective silver development strength to match the colour developing strength... hopefully.. maybe... well no harm in trying!
This appears to be a major step forward, I used my parodinal formulation which I -think- is equivalent to 1+20 the way i mixed it up should be equivalent.. except with no sodium sulphite, touch of ascorbic acid, like a small pinch between the fingers to the concentrate, which was 60mls, i used 15mls of concentrate, and 50mls of potassium permanganate solution...1/4 of a teaspoon of pemanganate to 140ml of water.
Developed at 23c, for 50min-1hr, with agitation here and there.. not much and would normally result in heavy adjacency affects.. I cant see any on the negative I bleached and fixed...but when stretching the levels way out (as its thin) it is apparent.. but not by much... (just one frame, havent done the rest of the roll), still looks too thin, but this one is at box speed and is a lot better than previous tests.
The ratio of silver development to dye formation is still too wide... but the gap is smaller now, Im looking forward to the overexposed denser shots to see how they turn out after bleach and fixing.
I need to try another roll with the same formulation @ 2 hours, with more permanganate (or maybe just try adding some regular bleach?) (edit: also I might try the same formulation @ 35-40, 10-15min)
edit: also scanned while still wet as i couldnt wait, also while i levelled the channels to balance the image, i didnt touch the saturation, havent done any colour correction or channel swiching on this
edit: a +2 shot.. which is very strange because that yellow is right, but that green bin behind it has a strong red lid.. not green.. lol, wonder if im not getting red in the +2's
And how it appears to the scanner (similar range to others, better to my eyes, and more colour)
And a -2 of the same shot (4 stops diff to the one above), with a partial bleach bypass like the op, 1 part bleach, 5 parts fix, 5 parts water for a short period since I could see the red (cyan) on the negative in this one.
+180 on hue, then some level balancing and +30 saturation.
I think more permanganate is required, and also a hot solution, hopefully that will help with the small density range, and thus scanner noise from stretching the image out so far, as on average im getting 1/8th usage of the scanner range, otherwise the only other solution would be to dSLR + macro it, and possibly HDR it at 1/3rd stops to interpolate more separation to compensate for the bit loss.. though thats for another site I guess
side note on the colour correction: +90 on hue seems to bring back the red in both, to which i can correct the overall image with levels after, havent posted these examples though.
Last edited by Athiril; 10-22-2009 at 04:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.