I'm not sure that we are really so ill served on this side of Australia; the Sydney Morning Herald and the Age in Melbourne do have daily arts pages, their press photographers often achieve results above the merely observational, ABC Radio National has a daily books and writers show and a fair whack on Sundays on all arts (even if the ABC Arts mob can be a little clubby sometimes). It IS difficult to ascertain content of arts broadcasts from published programmes, usually they supply only a few words, you have to guess what they might be all about.
For example this weekend's ABC TV and SBS TV offerings:

"Guerilla Art": Several lines, but it's about graffiti as art and trendy.
"Deconstructing John Kelly" (John who?)
"First Tuesday Book Club" (featuring what books?)
"Sunday Arts" (?)
"Toscanini" (Conducts? Life of? Influence on US music?)
"Saving Jazz" (now which jazz is that? Old boys in straw hats playing Dixie? Or Cecil Taylor? It's a broad church)
"A Technicolour Dream" (?)

The area which is most deficient to my mind is music writing and broadcast. The SM Herald publishes at most 12 column inches a week on serious music and pages and pages on pop commercial music singers, including the important details of their tattoos.

I'm interested to read reviews of performances which I have attended, but mostly they are ignored by the Herald and the ABC, even when they contain major new pieces by Australian Composers.

The ABC Classical FM programme is stuck in the 19th Century, unless you hang in until 11 pm once a week for 21st century music. The ABC magazine, "Limelight" is obsessed with the Limburg Schlager Music exponent Andre Rieu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlager) and--for some reason--travel promotions.

However maybe we're better off in arts media terms than the US, although the NPR material that makes its way down here is mostly very good.

Very personally I'd like to see some sort of "late bloomer" promotion (I'm in the "late" contingent, still trying to bloom). Our state government makes a fuss about the annual "Seniors' Week" when they put on concerts with Gracie Fields vintage music. It would be great to see art works or any creative input from (ahem) mature folk who have achieved high levels of ability rather than the programmed sit on your bum and watch material.

New and emerging young artists have their place, but can't be the only talent around, surely?

(The eminent Australian composer Peter Sculthorpe recently celebrated his 80th birthday)

Regards - Ross