Some fooling around ...
Hi David, thanks for your response. I was pretty sure I did all the steps you listed, and did them with the battery off. So I started fooling around with the camera with no film in it. I moved my exposure button from single to M just to be sure it was set right. Then I went through the steps again. And this time, the only thing I did differently was to press the shutter button before closing the film back. I think this did the trick. It took about two full revolutions of the film advance knob to get to the 1. I distinctly remember in my last roll, I got to the 1 in less than a full revolution, and I knew there was a problem. So I think I am on the right track.
Thanks a lot, and sorry to hear about your batteries!