Quote Originally Posted by One_DaveT View Post
It's not a "check function" that I'm refering to, but rather a check source. The check source, is a small sealed radioactive substance stuck on the side of the detector. The nuclear physics professor I bought this from told me what the substance was, but now I forget.... actinium maybe.
If a radioactive isotope. it has a half life i.e. after a certain amount of time only one half will be left to disintegrate and provide readiation to check your GM tube. Therefore you need to know the isotope and half life to determine if the source is still effective in checking your GM. In short, just having a GM counter without the proper documentation and/or training, you don't really know if your detecting anything.-Dick

"At least I did some serious research instead of letting myself make scared by the media and others the don't know squat about it. Most people are like sheep, they just take in whatever they see from the media, I on the other hand do a lot of reading and even inform myself with people who actually work with radioactive products. And what exactly was wrong with my post to begin with?? did it contain any lies?? NO IT DIDN'T! Thorium breaks down in the Alpha and Beta spectrum, not the Gamma or X-rays. Radium does emit Gamma rays, so that's not wrong either. The amount in those lenses are small and they are encapsulated in the glass, so unless you break the glass there is nothing to worry about. Of course radioactive compounds are not toys but in the Post Chernobyl era people are way too scared because the media pictured some grotesque misconceptions about nuclear radiation. "

I never said anything was wrong with your Post. I was merely trying to ascertain your credentials. Your statements actually lead me to believe you had none in this area. Now that may be good and that may be bad. It's up to you to make that determination but to make the statement "in the Post Chernobyl era people are way too scared because the media pictured some grotesque misconceptions about nuclear radiation" shows an incomplete understanding about the subject and the dangers. My last statement still stands:
"Other than those three disciplines I would suggest that individuals refrain from Posting what they 'think' and only what they 'know' to be fact concerning isotopic emmiters, the physical effects and biological effects.
I commented once but just don't have the time nor inclination to address all the mis-statements"
-Dick