VOM = Volt-Ohm Meter, a term to describe these meters.

The equipment I am using is known to work with the measurement I am trying to take. Just any old probe will not do. Sorry.

A bridge is a salt or wire connection between two solutions, each of which contain a solution to be measured. A post was made here earlier describing the entire procedure. Each end of the bridge is called a junction.