Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
I contact print my LVTs. You can also enlarge therm. In other words, you treat them just as you would a normal neg.

But I think you meant to ask: what would I need to take full advantage of a high res drum scan. Well, I drum for LVT(for a dupe neg) or for lightjet (for a print). Even though you could argue that those two output methods ultimately have some finite dpi resolution and bit depth... there's no important limit to how much information one can get out with the drum at least at the actual scanning stage.... we can scan right up to the optical limits of diffraction (and I would argue even beyond). I mean, with a drum you can extract absurd amounts of information. It just beats DSLRs all to crap, even the older drums, not to mention the newest Azteks. The virtually limitless scan resolution coupled with ~16-bit per channel bit depth means that virtually the only thing you aren't recording is the smell of the negative. And for the record, I do not deny that smell is important

There is the issue of how grain works in the image though, that is another *big* topic. Some rightfully assert that they like grain and how it is renderd by optical printing, and I think much of the enmity surrounding this topic is the lousy way grain is rendered by non-drum scanners. I mean, people do crappy cheap scans and the moan. You get what you pay for.
Hmm... okay. So can any manipulation be done to the LVT image before it's written to film? This would allow straight printing, more or less, of the new neg. How large can an LVT be made? BTW, sorry for the brain-picking. I hope it isn't too painful.