I would highly recommend a Calumet 400 series view. First of all, they have been used across the country in schools and universities everywhere to teach beginners large format photography. They are rock solid cameras, they work tirelessly day in and day out and get subject to a lot of abuse and keep on working. They are simple to use, they have excellent range of movements, all controls lock down solidly, they are easy to repair if need be. They are extremely cost effective with terrific bang for the buck. These cameras were made for commercial studio use, that's why they are so robustly made. This is also why their weight is more than say a Graphic View. I think the weight factor is overstated a tad, it is not horrible or terribly burdonsome. When I was in college and managed the photo departments equipment room these 4x5's were checked out and taken everywhere from the studio to out and about locations. You can't go wrong with a good condition Calumet 4x5, period. Thousands of students have learned on them and thousands of commercial photogs have used them in their day to day operations.

If there is one drawback to a standard 4x5 Calumet it is the lack of a removable bellows. But, they also made a wide version of the same camera. A great feature of the camera is it's rotating back. Because you are talking about a camera to learn with and not specifically saying you wish to shoot wide angle subject matter then this camera would be superb for you. I would recommend the long bellow version for greater versatility over the standard bellows model. Before you venture into wide angle work you should first get all the fundamentals under control working in the standard focal length ranges.

For beginning lens choice, the important factors have already been mentioned. A standard optic in 4x5 will range between 165mm - 210mm. I recommend you read View Camera Technique by Leslie Stroebel to learn large format.