I'll post some results, omitting many tests.
I highly recommend this process, it's really possible to get usable&interesting results. I've mainly solved problems 3 and 5 (cyan highlights and texture). Contrast also seems a bit better, but still very high. Green-magenta crossover in fact can be quite interesting in some pictures, and I think it cannot be solved completely.
Okay, what I did. Yes, I made my own first developer, a non-bromide "Dektol". I found out, however, that a little bromide is needed, and a little amount of hypo is good.
So, this is my current formula:
FD (add in this order, stirring at every step until dissolved):
Start with: Water 500 ml
Metol 3 g
Sodium sulphite 45 g
Hydroquinone 12 g
Sodium carbonate (monohydrate 80 g) (or 68,4 g anhydrous)
(I replaced 5,1 grams for bicarbonate because I haven't enough carbonate )
Potassium bromide 0.20 g (the original "dektol" type formula asks for 2 g!!)
Sodium thiosulphate pentahydrate 0.20 g
Water to 1 liter
Dilute 1:1 before using. Develop 1 min 30 sec at 23C.
Normal RA-4 dev with added sodium sulfite 0,50 g/l (0,80 g/l could be even better).
Adding more hypo increases contrast and clips highlights and shifts highlights towards yellow, and vice versa. This current value seems to give nice whites, not yellowish nor bluish, while allowing to adjust yellow filtering to get quite neutral shadows at blue-yellow axis.
No hypo, tried to balance colors. (I could select between bluish highlights or yellowish shadows)
Hypo 0,20 g/l, tried to balance colors. (Now I could select between bluish shadows or yellowish highlights). And too high contrast.
These results led me to take the hypo concentration between 0,20 g/l and 0,00 g/l: 0,10 g/l.
Decreasing bromide may give even whiter whites, but may quickly lead to very bad DMAX. I added 1/10 of the "dektol" formula's bromide and expected to see some change, but DMAX went straight to black. Well, that was the objective .
Effect of no bromide at all - unexposed sheet - should be black. The first one without hypo and the yellow one with 0,20 g/l hypo (double compared to the final formula)
Stand development (2 min 15 sec total; 45 seconds agitation first and then 1 min 30 sec completely standing) helps manage the contrast a little bit, boosting the shadows a little and restraining highlights.
http://sorsa-tv.ath.cx/~antalh/siwa-normikeh.jpg - normal
http://sorsa-tv.ath.cx/~antalh/siwa-standkeh.jpg - stand
And then, some more pictures. These are all quickly made, without bracketing exposure or filtering!
I like the green crossover, this is originally quite a dull image, I used long ago expired Agfa slide that has gone yellowish.
Ahh! The flame is not clipped.
EXPERIMENT!! It's FUN, and eventually you start getting results!
Last edited by hrst; 12-08-2009 at 12:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.