Title: Good Fine-Grained Film for Portraits <-- this is what the thread is about, full stop.

I am about to start doing a portraiture project. I will be using colour 6x6 film and getting the negatives scanned and then printed. I want to make reasonably large prints - maybe 12x12 but possibly larger e.g. 16x16 depending on cost.

They will be indoor portraits, lit with a combination of flash and fixed light(s). I'll be shooting them with a Rolleiflex. I have little clue really what I am doing and I have little or no experience with colour film.

Can someone suggest a good film to use? I'm looking for fine grain, lots of detail and so on. I imagine more or less anything would do but thought I would consult the wisdom of APUG in case there are obvious ones to go for ...

Relevant information underlined.

Your problem with it being here italised.

6x6 colour, portraits, mixed lighting, fine grain & sharp film, wants to make good 12x12 and 16x16 prints, thats the relevant information and he is asking about film suitable for that, the method of reproduction is irrelevant here, he is not asking about the method of reproduction.

Let me fix that for you though.

"Folks,

I am about to start doing a portraiture project. I will be using colour 6x6 film. I want to make reasonably large prints - maybe 12x12 but possibly larger e.g. 16x16 depending on cost.

They will be indoor portraits, lit with a combination of flash and fixed light(s). I'll be shooting them with a Rolleiflex. I have little clue really what I am doing and I have little or no experience with colour film.

Can someone suggest a good film to use? I'm looking for fine grain, lots of detail and so on. I imagine more or less anything would do but thought I would consult the wisdom of APUG in case there are obvious ones to go for ..."

Now try answering that.

Because mentioning scanning is irrelevant, youre not answer what kind of scanner or scan resolution needed for good 12x12 and 16x16 prints, youre answering on what film is going to best in that mixed lighting and make good sharp prints at 12x12 and 16x16 with fine grain.

The fact if he mentions how theyre being printed is irrelevant or not, he's after the source quality, ie: the film which is exactly what he is asking about.

And if you dont know anything about scanning, then you shouldn't be suggesting that it makes any kind of difference to film choice. Thus your point is moot and not particularly valid to begin with, just answer what you can, for what he wants to know, all he wants to know is film for portraits, in colour for a specific print size from an original negative specific size, in specific lighting conditions, its not hard to comprehend.

X film is finer graind than Y film, given a perfect reproduction of both, X print will be finer grained than Y on a big enlargement.

So, if you know about scanning, then you know 16x16 might be pushing it for a flatbed scan, as they are akin to lousy soft enlarger lenses, and it'd be recommended to use a real/dedicated scanner, or get a drum scan done, which is likely possibly anyway since he said he'd be getting them scanned rather than scanning himself.

Now that is irrelevant to advise them, "oh you'll need to scan it on at least this scanner" because this is APUG, and secondly, the reproduction is not being asked about and is the OP's responsibility to ensure a quality reproduction.

It is is the same as if he said "I'll be optically printing these negatives to ilfochrome", it might be helpful, but a total shot in the dark and definately not the main focus of the topic at hand to tell him "oh dont use x brand enlarger, it's a bit too soft for 16x16 prints".

The method of reproduction is not the topic at hand, its not relevant to the OPs question, and is the OPs own responsibility, the core topic is most relevant to APUG:

"What portrait films are recommended for sharp fine grain 16x16 prints from 6x6cm negatives in mixed lighting conditions?".

That is the question you should be answering.