Quote Originally Posted by GreyWolf
I keeping reading about how BTZS is superior to the Zone System and wish to learn more. I have Phil Davis's BTZS book (older version) but still have not made the connection in my brain about the process.

I guess that is because he starts out with a Zone System explanation instead of just moving into his system. As many folks have stated...the book seems somewhat complicated and has much testing before you graduate to understanding the concepts.

As per another's view on a different forum ....

As a long time user of the ZS I could kick myself for dismissing the BTZS as "too" complicated and too "testy", when in fact the tests done under the BTZS are far simpler and yield far more info than the traditional ZS.

I once again am curious.

Does anybody know of another book that I might purchase that would approach explaining BTZS instead of the Phil Davis book?

Kind Regards,
There is not another book explaning Phil's approach, but I will give it to you in a nut shell. Print a step wedge on the paper of your choice, if you are using VC or different grades paper, then print the step wedge in all of the grades.

Measure the reflection density range for each paper and/or paper grade and write it down.

Print a step wedge on to 5 different pieces of film. Develop the 5 pieces at different times and plot the curves. Choose the exposure index and developing times that are the same as the exposure scale of your paper.

You are done.

Read the book on the enlarger settings fpr exposing the paper and neg.

If you send me the numbers I will plot them for you and send you back the curves and analysis...