Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
Is that so? My farther, who regularly had the need for some of his work being translated in another language, always told me that translators usually do "research" on existing documents to find out what is the "jargon" used in a certain work field. How else would a translator create a proper translation for less common field specific terms, not part of the day-to-day spoken "street" language?
It indeed is.
A translator must know the field the text he is translating is about. Else you get stupid mistakes (which we all too often see in TV subtitles, where translators clearly show they haven't the faintest idea of what the text is about).

But it is also a Deadly Sin to change things because you think it might be better.

What if they used a wick at Gevaert's and you change that to brush, because some other manufacturer never used a wick, never ever heard of a wick being used, and says that it must be brush?
You would rob the world, keeping that little bit of information from everyone, just because you think it more appropriate to use the terms someone else uses, instead of following the original.

A Deadly Sin indeed!

Yes, it's mine , but also a bit AgX's. Actually, it was AgX who also suggested "wick", but I rejected it
Really?!
Well there you (as in: you) go!

Next time, its your turn!
Will gladly help, if an occassion presents itself.