Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
Regarding wick......

Many early coaters that made paper used a brush or wick to remove excess baryta during the manufacturing process. On cold pressed papers, when coating hot emulsion, so much was absorbed by the paper that excess emulsion was "scraped away" by a brush or wick.

More commonly though for paper and film, a blade of metal was placed about 0.005" above the surface of the coating to remove any excess and to even out the thickness of the coating. This method would have been in use in the 40s. Some cases used an air knife or air brush to remove excess emulsion.

I hope this helps.

PE, the discussion point is about the hand-cranked hopper / coater as visible in the beginning of the video, which depicts the situation around 1900.

Would "wick" be a correct term for the reddish flexible strip sticking out of the underside of the visible through in that fragment? Or would "brush" be a better term?:

3,09 3,12 Around 1900 Lieven Gevaert built a half automated hopper (coating machine)
3,13 3,16 Production commenced under yellow light
3,17 3,19 A piece of paper was tightened in a frame
3,19 3,22 and was hand cranked
3,23 3,25 The light sensitive emulsion flowed from a bottle into a through
3,26 3,29 to which a wide brush was attached, spreading the emulsion over the paper