Quote Originally Posted by peters
Maine-iac- Hello-you got my interest perked up to try your one solution formula. I do alot of processing with 4x5 so your developer has the ability to save me quite a bit of money; but time is money too.Mixing up the 5 Liter packages of Xtol in a pail is very quick and easy for me and it will do a good amount of 4x5 mixed 1:1. Since I'm trying this to replace Xtol my question is as follows:
1. I use the Xtol at a 1:1 dilution
2. Will my negatives fairly replicate in your formula as a stock?
3. Have you ever tried to dilute the developer or is it not neccessary AND OR are the results that good there is no reson to bother diluting?
4. How many negatives/4x5/ per liter of working solution?
I realize I need to do my own experimenting and come to my own conclusions. Your input is appreciated. Thanks beforehand and thanks for an interesting thread
Regards Peter

Hi Peter,

Sorry I wasn't online for the past day or so; since I'm a clergyman, Sunday is a heavy workday for me.

RE: your questions.

1. My formula above is a full strength solution; no need to dilute.

2. Not sure exactly what you mean by "will my negs fairly replicate in your formula as a stock." If you mean, will this formula give comparable results as Xtol, I can only say that since I've never used Xtol, I can't compare the two.

3. See #1

4. I've done as many as six 4X5 negs or four rolls of 120 in a liter of developer without exhausting it. I'd guess you might get 8 sheets or 6 rolls of 120 if you tried, but I've never tried, so can only vouch for 6 sheets.

The PC-TEA formula recommended by Gainer and others works very well. It's just a lot more bother to mix up since you have to heat the TEA to get the Phenidone and Vitamin C to dissolve. I have nothing against it, except that I'm lazy enough to want something that mixes quickly, easily, and doesn't have me running up and down the stairs from my darkroom to the kitchen. Making a stock solution of just the Phenidone in either 90% alcohol or Propylene Glycol, and then throwing in the Vitamin C and activator at the time I'm ready to develop is just easier in my opinion, and the results are equally good.

I just shot a couple rolls of 6X7 Fuji Neopan on Friday, developed and made a few prints Friday afternoon and the grain was so fine I had trouble focusing with my 25X Scoponet grain magnifer. Can't ask for much more than that.

Larry