</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert Kennedy @ Apr 17 2003, 08:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Her family and friends use one defintion (13 lbs), freinds in Newcastle 40 miles away seem to think it is 16lbs, and apparently some people go for 14lbs.

Weird folk the English...</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
I&#39;d call it a tie, more or less, with the USAeans.

At least the British have given grudging acceptance to the metric system. Us, here in the US haven&#39;t been able to handle that well - at all.

What we see is Speed Limit signs on the road in LARGE "M.iles P.er H.our" and, - not always - "kph" as a sort of afterthought. Liquids are still in U.S. "Gallons" (do they still use Imperial gallons in Jolly Old?)... temperature in degrees Fahrenheit... Even CANADA (gasp&#33 reports daily weather temperatures in Celsius...

My first encounter with the metric system in "everyday life" (I&#39;ve been involved in it deeply in the Metrology Labs) was during my first visit to Europe. I think it took nearly six hours to acclimate. I shudder now to think of returning to English units in the darkroom ... going back to ounces and quarts... ugh&#33;&#33;

I suppose there was some sort of romance in the "old" systems ... How many "gills" in a "dram" ... or "scruples" in a pint... ?

I was sort of a fan of collecting obscure measuring units ... Does any one realize there was a "Paris" inch ... Ten(10) to the "Paris" foot?

And British Thermal Units (BTU) - the amount of heat generated by burning one (1) match...