Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
The most recent shot I posted to the standard gallery was of some metal tanks in full sun. With a spot meter, I was able to determine the highlight values and shadow values. How would an incident meter function in this situation for use with BTZS? Pointing it at the lens in full sunlight would completely miss the reflections from metallic surfaces, would it not?

This is still somewhat of a problem for me to understand. How does an incident meter deal with specular reflections? Do you just turn around and point it at the reflection of the light? If so, this is reflected light, not incident light. If not, how do you measure a bright reflection with an incident meter? This is an ongoing issue I have with trying to understand exposure and development using BTZS concepts.
By specular reflections I assume that you are addressing small regions of highlights that exceed the scale of the film, the paper or both.

Typically specular highlights will be relatively small in relation to the more important tonal representations. For that reason I would not concern myself with specular highlights whether that would be with a spot or an incident meter. The reason that I would not concern myself with these is that they would tend to skew the development indicated.

In BTZS metering the meter dome would be pointed toward the camera lens from both the sunlit and shaded positions. The incident reading from any of these positions would be representative of a five stop scene brightness range. If the scene brightness ratio exceeds seven then the development is reduced. If the scene brightness ratio were less then seven then the development is expanded.

If you are speaking of larger areas of reflective nature in which detail is desired then the scale of the materials will not be exceeded if the incident metering is done in the manner that I have described.