Thank you all for your comments and input. I'm working on the BTZS text as a method of understanding light better and consequently, exposure and development. Based on the above comments, I guess my trouble with understanding the BTZS concept, in this instance, stems from the lack of a uniform scale of values which fit the "normal range" for a shot. I added a variable which is not a natural part of most scenes, shiny metal.

Granted, this is an extreme example of reflections and perhaps my lack of proper wording is to blame for my use of the term specular reflections. I consider specular reflections to be the light reflected from the sun (or any light source) off of an object which has a reflective surface such as chrome, a mirror or shiny metal, for example. I suppose a highly reflective paint could also qualify if the finish is polished enough.

If I had exposed the shot I took while ignoring the reflections completely, the tanks would have been completely white over a large portion of their surfaces. I chose to reduce development and add exposure in order to try to balance the amount of light reflecting from the tanks and make it seem less blinding, while still retaining the feeling of reflected light. I use this tank farm as a test scene, as usually there isn't as much harsh light and contrast to deal with in the natural world.

So it seems that I should retain a balance between both worlds. The ZS and BTZS both have their place, I just need to keep plugging away at the learning end of things and continue shooting. Again, thank you all for your answers. tim