It's years since I dismantled an L1840 but, if it is identical to the 1300, then the "camera" (as IC refers to it) may be removed from the column, making the whole easier to move.

I don't recall the precise details but, after having removed any other moveable parts, the process involved loosening one (or both) of the large black locking knobs to the side of the head, then rotating the head to a pre set position (as if to project an image sideways) and pulling the whole"camera" assembly forward from the uprights. Before this is done and to remove the EXTREME tension on the spring (as mentioned by Ralph), the head must either be raised to the top of the column (which is inconvenient) or spragged beforehand in a lower position (I used to use a jubilee clip tightened around one of the columns). Care must be taken with this process because the spring is under enormous tension and, without the weight of the head to counteract it, the carriage assembly could cause serious injury if allowed to return unchecked. In short, having someone like an old fashioned auto mechanic or maintenance engineer and used to thinking on their feet, would be helpful.

On the 1840 the vertical uprights could be separated into higher and lower sections by loosening the pinch bolts to the rear centre of the uprights. Broken down I managed to manhandle the whole unit by myself on occasion but I wouldn't recommend it, better if you have at least two, fairly fit, pairs of hands.

Again, if the 1300 is identical to the 1840, there are nylon gears used in the train to raise and lower the head. These are fragile and can be stripped very easily. Worse still, there aren't any replacements available from Bolzano - I had to get replacements turned by an engineer...

Regards
Jerry