Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
I would say it will work fine, but would not spend $20 on it.

If you want diffuse light, sheets and frames (AKA PVC plumbing pipe or cheap/free lumber) are much more versatile (and at $20 for the tent, more cheap).

My work was about to spend God knows how much money on some expensive pre-made lighting-tent-type stuff "for products" before I was hired (after already spending thousands based on what another photographer had advised them to buy...for a fee, no less). I told them to hold their money, give me a $20 bill, and pay me an hour's wage for running down to a thrift shop. I made a LARGE $8 lighting tent out of two white sheets that made for better quality pix than anything you could buy at the store. (They already had clamps and stands.) It became a permanent fixture, and I shot through those $8 of sheets (two Dynalite heads and a 1000Ws pack - more overkill. 500Ws would have been fine.) for several years. I don't know how many times our pix got comments from E-Bay buyers (including "professional" photographers wanting to how we lit our photos. "Do you use one of those lighting tents?" "Why yes. Yes, we do. We use a five foot by five foot by five foot one that was very expensive at the store.") After I left, the guy after me has continued to do the same. Best part about it, aside from the cost? Totally customizable, shot to shot if needed. NOT cookie cutter lighting.

I am not trying to brag...not at all. Just saying that I think pre-made lighting modifier stuff is quite "gimmicky" and "cookie-cutter-esque", and there are other options that are better in every way if you have just a little bit of creativity and understand light.
I tend to eschew pre-made big sources in the studio as well. Generally I stretch a silk on a frame or use diffusion material on boxes I construct with b/w foam-core. We call them "chicken coops". IDK if that is a local colloquialism, a bastardized adaptation of something, or an industry wide term. They dont suffer from durability issues in the studio, and I can construct them in any diffusion, size, or aspect ratio my little heart desires, By making them long and narrow, for instance, I can vary the "softness" (basically the size of source relative to the subject) of the light simply by rotating them between vertical or horizontal or anywhere in between.