Quote Originally Posted by CuS View Post
I've been doing alot of 4x5 work these past few weeks.

Although I have no problem tray developing, I'm getting tired of being knuckle deep in chemistry.

I'm been wanting to build a slosher for a good long while and I even had the plexiglass to do it.

I was just about to dive into a build when I notice the 14 or so 2x2 hangers I had on hand. I have neither the space not the tanks to use them as designed so I have sacrificed one (shutter) to slosherdom.

All i did was hack-saw off the hanger section; de-burr the edges; and then drill a while in the center for a handle (a metal post, in my case).

It fits perfectly in my Paterson 8x10 trays.

I'll do some souping with it this week to determine how evenly developing proceeds.

Here's some pics if you are interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colusit...7623403207398/
I suspect that you might have some problems with this, so report back either way. I have never used hangers before so maybe I am wrong. I assume that if the film is held in place somewhat loosely on the 4 sides then it could pop out when inserted, agitated, or removed from the tray. If the film is held tightly by the frame, then it will probably bow and maybe pop out if not careful.

The manufactured sloshers have holes under the film to allow free flow of solutions when raising or rocking the trays and that promotes even development.

Also, one benefit of a slosher is that you can process each sheet for a different time which would be impossible here.