Continental and scandinavian legal tradition use terms such as "immobilien" (German: immobile things), "fast egendom" (Swedish: fixed property) etc. The Russians, and many states in the former Soviet sphere, similarly, use terms like "nedvizhimost", which means immovable. (French I do not know about.) Still, international legal discourse often use English language terms such as real property, real estate, property etc. It is always a mess to use common law terms to describe other legal systems if you are not very stringent.

It is often said that the queen still owns much of the land in Britain, while you americans would have full title yourselfs. Maybe the difference in terminology can traced from that fact.