..... aaaaand - I'm not even allowed to buy the constituent chemicals to make my own soups from local chemical suppliers because I have to be a company that has a kind of police check/veto done on me !

But ... all the supplies, save wet plate collodion (bomb making materials apparently :rolleyes can be ordered from the many web shops - even with fedex shipping charges added on top it is still cheaper - the NZ economy just gets nothing ...

The perfectly retarded-shit storm of negative feedback ensues - photo store sales people explain upon being asked if they can stock so and so chemical - say D76, or something rare like you know fixer (the non rapid kind for pyro to be exact) - the grumpy old men at Auckland Camera come up with the line 'oh, no one shoots film anymore' (I sometimes think I shouldn't be so personal, but really aside from some of the younger guys that store is an unpleasant environment) - meanwhile they are selling Arcbodys on the local auction website and there is film on the shelf behind them ... bless ! They must make their money on the ubiquitous pile of 'must-have' digi/analog transcendent accessories on offer, plastic filters, bags, micro-transformer-tripods, lens cleaner kits...

We have students and Holga et al. to be thankful for to keep film on the shelves. So between students, the aforementioned lomo/holga types and serious weirdos there seems to be nothing...

Try out doozys like 'Ilford doesn't make film anymore, our current stocks are the end run' this from labtec, which is now the PCL you'll be working with ... Again, if anyone from PCL is reading this, I like your lab! and have had a lot of help and perfect processing done there, but that line did come from one of your employees ...

Anyways, I have made myself completely independent as a result - I can do all the processes I'm interested in (save WPC) without one visit to these stores which in %80 of cases is futile. I'm thinking of offering a not-much-of-a-guarantee E6/B&W processing service at much less cost to students myself...

Anyway rant almost over - except to mention the irony or (?) being that APUG itself is based in New Zealand

Fish, chips and valium anyone ?