One simple way to make the dry side is to use kitchen units. Screw them together to make the run. Pull them 9" or so away from the wall. Put a 2x2" batten along the wall at the same height. Screw a 2'6"" to 3' wide counter top to the batten and to the units which ties it all together solidly.

Put stop-valves in the pipes just as they come above the floorboards to allow you to shut the water off if something springs a leak.

I use a 3kw instant hot water hand washer (this is in southern England: if you get seriously sub-zero temps in winter, a more powerful one may be needed, like the shower unit suggested previously) - mine supplies 40deg C water (just) when incoming cold water is 8deg C. Not as fancy as the set-and-forget industrial mixers, but a fraction of the cost - always a good point I think...

You need a fan. You will also want to be able to open a window during toning or similar smelly activities...

I've not got a filter - I use distilled for developer and mains water for everything else.

Safelight(s) & inspection light over fixer tray. Do not use florescents (after-glow). A deep section in the sink is a good idea - makes washing up much easier - mine does not have one and I miss it...

Bob.

P.S. Ed - you are right: plumbing courses in London are reported to be 10 times over subscribed...

P.P.S I though fruit contained citric acid...