Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
Ok, don't cook the starch. Keep it as cool as possible. You want the starch to be incorporated as fine granules IIRC. That causes the matting effect to be best. All you need do is swell them.
Ok, i'll try that.

If the emulsion comes of in sheets or ribbons, or if it forms blisters it is hard with poor adhesion to the paper. If the emulsion dissolves, then the emulsion itself is not hard.
It forms blisters, almost like reticulation, starting at the edges and working in to the center. Some neat effects. I let one dry and it looked pretty wild. Now that I think of it, this is the exact problem i had with cyanotype and photo gelatin on fabriano.

The gelatin, as you coat it, should be no higher than 10% and should not go down at more than about 750 mg/square foot. If you get more or less, you have problems. The hardener, at 10% (chrome alum) should be 10 ml / 100 ml of this solution and should harden in about 1 day.

PE
Let's see; (5.5" * 22")/12 = 10.08 sq. ft. I use ~15.0 mL. Can't think PE, i've been up since 21:30 yesterday, what's next. Assume 1 mL of warm emul weights a gram?

I used 1 mL of 5% chrome alum per 100 mL emulsion. Hmmmm.... I was thinking of adding NO chrome alum and then try again doubling it. Still not enough according to you.

What about the alcohol, it seems to me this has had an observable and real effect that looks like hardening.

Sorry for all the questions.

T