Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
I do remember that you sugested this a long time ago. It just went into some dark corner of my mind until a few days ago. Since your experience with screen printing is more recent thane mine, I wonder, could you recommend a couple of mesh counts to start with? PE reccomends a wet thickness of 7 mils. I have been coating close to 9 mils.
We tend to use a 120 or 140 mesh when we print our conductive silver ink. The printed surface is very smooth and actually has a texture very similar to emulsion on film. We use a machine coater to coat the stencil emulsion onto both sides of the mesh (although we sometimes use Capillex from Autotype). We usually end up with a printed thickness of around 8-10 microns. Perhaps two or more coats would be needed for an emulsion as 1 mil (or 1/1000") is a lot more than a micron. For a thicker print (of dielectric materials) we would go to a 79 or more course mesh and a thicker stencil. Unfortunately the course mesh will leave an impression in the ink/emulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
What you have said about mesh marks is worth being careful about. My interest in silver emulsions is entirely about glass negatives and prints. Someone else can worry about paper and film.
I was thinking that texture on a paper could be a feature to work with artistically whereas it would be un-anted in a film.

Steve.