I am coming up to my 3rd anniversary of owning a camera. I gravitated to Street a long time ago, starting as usual with a 2000mm lens cowering behind a wall, in camouflage. I thankfully got over it fast and now primarily use a 50mm prime and my Nikon F80. I pretty much keep to the same north inner city area of Dublin, far from the grandeur and chic streets because these people for me have more character than plastic trophy wives sipping super skinny latte’s common in other areas.

I see now a new chapter emerging in my style, I suppose I call it in my head ‘street stories’ I have started to interface with people who interest me verbally etc, to get more from them (also adds to the adrenaline talking to some of these dubious folk). It gives me more background and I like story telling, I’m Irish after all!

I received an interesting comment from a friend that without the stories the pictures themselves do not stand up.

This has made me think a lot about where I seem to be heading, which is great. I am well aware everything is subjective but I would like some constructive criticism on the sample “Street Story” below and your thoughts. There are other stories if you delve into my account.

Many Thanks in advance.

Anthony

The Story: : Dancing Dan’s Street Show.

I was walking past initially and there he was, not busking, dancing facing the wall, carrying his plastic shopping bag. His IPOD no doubt filling his head with the beat. Wearing powder blue jeans & jacket with a plastic Stetson in tiger strip colours….

So I got as close as I could without disturbing him and squeezed of a few shots and moved on…

About an hour later I was passing this way again and saw a huge crowd. It seems I had initially only caught “Dancing Dan” when he was warming up! The shopping bag was on the granite window ledge of the GPO and he was in fine fettle. Bumping, grinding and dirty dancing much to the amusement of the onlookers. Boy could this guy throw some moves, he was amazing, you didn’t even need to hear the music, him lost in his own little world.

Then I noticed a bunch of street people egging him on with pure Dublin humour “ go on ya fine thing” “ohh you’se are a bitch –riding yerself like that” “ ya dirty bollix” “wanna a f**cking ride do ya” “I’se bet you were someone’s bitch in de Joy” ( Mountjoy Prison known as De Joy to Dubliners)

I went over to catch a shot of the main heckler, who tagged me and we got talking, I retorted he couldn’t dance like that and then to prove me wrong, stoned as he was on something, off he went stealing Dan’s limelight. Then decided to take up a collection for him with a discarded paper coffee cup.

This broke Dan’s harmony and he stopped, waiting for the distraction to the main event, Him! To give up.

A moment in Dublin. A moment of public levity where all was forgotten thanks to dancing Dan.

Nikon f80, 50mm f1.4 D: Ilford HP5+ developed in XTOL. Saturday Afternoon, 20th February 2010

The Slide Show. http://www.flickr.com/photos/1311178...55691898/show/