Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
So how will over-exposing help, then?
What you did was to move the tonal scale farther up the curve, and since the windows needed burning to reveal detail, your highlights got too far up the curve, into the 'difficult to print' territory.

Either you exposed too much, or you didn't adjust your development time enough. Or both.

It's a good thing you exposed two sheets. You came away with a nice print that works.
I still have a neg from this situation. So I can do a 6 min test. But going to short get's other problems...
I mostly do my process of photographing/developing in my standard way. When the light is to bright, i come back another day. When it is to low, also. Adjusting things often make things worse. I am at a point where I am looking at the final print and don't care about the neg anymore. Because my print is what I put on the wall, not a negative. Besides that I use all kind of print papers from cyanotype to baryta and PE.

Don't loose to much time in getting the absolute perfect neg, because probably it's not printable. A friend of my says that we think that we can create a neg that can be printed without any work, but he says printing is where it starts. Every print needs adjustment to get it even better.