Quote Originally Posted by wm blunt
I don't worry about the G-bar, I just figure dev. by using the SBR and recommendations from others that have done the testing. Such as Sandy Kings testing of pyrocat-hd for films I use or the dev. times for using D-76 from the Dick Arentz book. They may not be exact but they are very close. Both give recommended times for different SBR's to obtain a neg. for printing with palladium which is all I use. Hope this helps.

You make a good point about the availability of existing recommendations based on BTZS testing, which includes not only Dick Arentz and me but also the extensive data from tests done by Phil Davis that you get when you buy the WinPlotter program. Some of use like to do our own testing of course, but the fact is that if you use the same developers that Arentz, Davis and I do, and develop the film the same way, your developing times should be very, very close to what we came up with. Also, people who use WinPlotter can easily share files, as I have done this with quite a number of photographers.

Some of you may know that Michael Smith and I are working on a book about contact printing, and for the book I carried out a lot of testing of films using both Pyrocat-HD and ABC Pyro. One of the ideas I have is that people who buy the book will also be able to obtain WinPlotter files of all of this testing so that persons who own WinPlotter can just download the files and figure out development times for themselves.

I own and have used from time to time the Expo-Dev program but as a general rule I find it to be more trouble than it is worth for most of my field work. However, I do find it useful with very complicated scenes that include filter corrections, reciprocity and corrections for bellows draw. In these cases it would take me much longer to make the calculations manually than with Expo-Dev, and I would also not be as sure of the results.

Sandy