Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
I don't think it's the cameras, because I've yet to see a single picture that doesn't have these characteristics. Besides, SX-70's are pretty nice.

It sounds like we can only expect the film to become more refined, and if it doesn't, it's still a cool look.

I really do believe in its power to "distill" your composition, which I think will teach us a lot about our own picture taking prowess.
The original SX-70s had very nice optics; they are remarkably sophisticated cameras.

I would hope that the Impossible films prove, over time, to be less impossible, otherwise I'm not sure I'll purchase more than one or two packs to test them out.

I like this idea about the distillation of composition, although I don't think it's a property unique to instant films. It reminds me of A. Adam's quote, about "sharp images of fuzzy concepts," where I've seen many sharp "test shots" on digital camera forums, whose resolution, tonal range and dynamic range are textbook state-of-the-art, but the image itself is, well, pedestrian. Another example is a well-made pinhole camera image that, although lacking in technical sophistication in virtually every metric measurable, somehow comes through the lo-res muck to reveal something essential. This kind of hidden art is not about the format or technique - it has nothing to do intrinsically with instant film's properties - but rather about how a person, skilled in photographic technique, can apply their inner artistic gifts and transcend the medium.

~Joe