Quote Originally Posted by phfitz

A 'contrast mask positive' is a contact print of the original neg. developed very lightly, 30sec., 1 min., 2 min. depending on how much masking you need. It's usually used with Cibachrome printing but works well with any printing.

Any B&W film can be used and any shutter you can fit to your enlarger. Light meter a gray card and bracket both exposure and developement. Larger formats are easier to do, for 35mm I use a Weiss 'Super Duper' rack, it peg-registers the socket holes making it easy to register the film. Then just print the 'sandwhich' like a regular neg.

Back to back will make it an un-sharp mask which is easier to use. Emulsion to back will also work for printing. Emulsion to emulsion works to make positive slides but it's a bear for printing.

Hope it's a help.
I'm thinking a contrast mask positive is something that has a given effect uniformly througout the image, rather than being an expressive process I can add or subtract in various spots. Also, I'm looking to do this on the cheap, investing at the most in one or two kinds of sheet film, so getting a shutter in my enlarger and a pin registration setup, while each being things that might be useful in the long future, shoot this out of my ballpark for now.

WRT the idea of making an expressive reversed print and contact-printing it (wet contact-printing?) onto the paper used for the final postcards, I'd been under the impression that paper-to-paper contact prints aren't likely to give as good results as a film interneg. Am I mistaken?