Quote Originally Posted by Robert8x10
I've done internegs commercially for over 25 years. I still not sure what you're wanting to do.

I want to take the results of a single expressive enlargement with various dodges and burns and put it on something with which I can do a straight contact print.

If, for instance, the way to do what I want is to project my neg onto a very slow film, burn and dodge as necessary, then process it and use a resulting negative for contact prints, I obviously won't have to burn and dodge for every single print -- just in the production of the internegative.
You have to balance the shadows and highlights with the neg film. So, You still have to dodge and burn when printing.

Yes, but if I'm using an interneg that's been exposed like paper under an enlarger and dodged and burned, I presumably won't have to dodge and burn for every contact print made from that interneg. Doing straight enlargements for every single postcard, regardless of how much care I take, will result in subtle differences between cards if I have numerous burns and dodges on each card.
If you want to skip this then do a copy neg. That's what Eugene Smith did. At lease thats what my instructors have told me. Like you he hated darkroom work.

Actually, I didn't mean to give the impression I hate darkroom work. I find it one of the most pleasurable things in life. If photography is my religion, then I'm not sure which is more the church: shooting or working in the darkroom, especially printing. If I didn't love working in the darkroom, I'd just plant myself in front of Photoshop and be done with it.
Anyways, he would make a master print and photograhed it. I'm sure that he made sure that the copy neg contained all the information he needed. So you too will have to do some home work to produce the results you desire.

I totally agree that research is called for, the first step of which is to sound out APUG for their own personal best practices.
You'll need to find a film that very flat and controllable.
Kodak made a film that I used but now that film maybe long pass. Ektapan Film 4162. It was a pan film that I used HC 110 for many uses. Copy, I-neg, contrast negs, and regular processing. If you want to contact print then look for a 8x10.

8x10 postcards -- now THERE'S an idea.