Quote Originally Posted by pounder35 View Post
I agree with another poster that heating with a blow dryer carefully and working slowly will work best. It can be a slow process. Question. Why bother? If the camera works fine and you are using it I wouldn't worry about appearance. If you want to improve the looks to market the camera you may consider the fact that a used car is worth more with faded paint (the origional factory paint) than one that has been repainted. Just my 2 cents worth of probably useless feedback. HAHA!

ps
I see a lot of input of using acetone for various needs but you need to be very carefull with it. If the camera has plastic top and bottom covers acetone will ruin them.

pounder35
23+ years of camera repair
Because the material on the Yashica is nasty .. its not leatherette, its like a rubbery stuff that flakes off and is very sticky on my hands. It really doesn't have anything to do with appearance .. well ok, ya, it looks nasty too. Hard to use a camera that feels gross in my hands. I believe this material is pretty specific to these older Yashicas, from what I've read online. I'd rather get rid of it and put on a nice leather covering. Doesn't have anything to do with market value, I'm not selling it.