Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
Erythrosine doesn't seem to wash away from gelatin so it would affect printing severely.
I was tempted to opine that all the old recipes couldn't wrong, but I decided it was worth the effort to do a test just to make sure. I made a erythrosin-dyed gelatin filter and contact printed it over half an artisan film negative on Ilford Multigrade. For reference, I matched the amount of pink to your attachment. The only blocking is about what you'd expect from that amount of density. I think it's safe to assume erythrosin would work fine as a backing addendum. That said, I'm with you. Emulsion making is the fun part! And, actually, I love halation. I'm trying to enhance it in the series of images I'm currently working on.

d