It's a wonderful film, but I hate respooling really long rolls! I'm waiting for some shorter rolls to appear. In general, I'd much rather use films that are readily available and use my choice of developer to give me what I want. I also don't care to hand number my frames. There are no preprinted numbers. After all, what good are frame numbers on movie film? XX was always a movie film. Super XX, another of my favorite distant memories, was not the same film at all. It was designed for entirely different purposes.

I tested xx using Germain's formula, which is really just a variant of Edwal 12. Subsequently, I converted to a more standard version of E12, and then promptly ran out of xx. So, unable to obtain more convenient sizes, I've turned my attention elsewhere. However, the results I got were really great. E12 is a great developer, and one that works particularly well with films of this era and type. It is particularly good when you need greater contrast; Edmund Lowe designed it for rather bright but very flat light. It is a true fine grain developer. That is, it does not use high solvent concentrations to dissolve the edges and corners of the grains. Instead, it retains stupendous edge definition. I suspect that anyone wishing to use this film would find the combination very interesting if they can put up with making the developer, since it is not something that you're likely to find. Photographer's Formulary may have a kit for it, but I mix from scratch.

A while back, we had a fairly long thread on Edwal 12, so if you are interested, you can look it up. There is a lot of information in it.

My notes say that next time, I should try 8.5 minutes as a target for a normal time. Ten minutes is pretty good for heavily overcast Puget Sound light conditions.