I just came across this topic while reading an old Photographic Dictionary by E.J. Wall. It's called "hyalography" and he has a procedure for doing it on glass. Involves bitumen IIRC, but I don't know much about alt processes, yet!

This book is very valuable in learning about different chemistry and it's purposes.